Welcome to Reception.
The Reception classes are part of the Early Years Foundation Stage and deliver the early years curriculum. Our teachers and early years staff are trained to enable children to make good progress in learning the skills which are essential for learning and success at school, and in other aspects of their lives. We ensure that we provide our children with right mix of activities that are initiated by the child or led by the teacher.
In September the majority of our school nursery children enter Reception along with children from other nurseries and playgroups in the area.
We have four classes each with a full time teaching assistant and other support staff.
We work closely with our school Nursery and also share the same fantastic outdoor classroom and other equipment.
Under the new revised Early Learning Areas 2012, our learning environment is organised into the different areas of learning.
There are three prime areas of learning:
- Physical Development with a focus on: Moving and Handling and Health and Self-care.
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development with a focus on: Self-confidence and Self-awareness, Managing Feelings and Behaviour, Making Relationships.
- Communication and Language with a focus on: Listening and Attention, Understanding and Speaking.
There are also four specific areas of learning:
- Literacy: Reading and writing.
- Mathematics: Numbers and shape, space and measures.
- Understanding the World: People and communities, the World and Technology.
- Expressive Art and Design: Exploring and using media and materials, and Being imaginative.
Throughout the year we shall also be observing your child to find out about them as learners and to assess them against the following criteria:
- Playing and Exploring – finding out and exploring – Engaging – playing with what they know – being willing to ‘have a go’
- Active Learning – being involved and concentrating – Motivation – keeping on trying – enjoying achieving what they set out to do
- Creating and Thinking – having their own ideas – critically – making links – Thinking – choosing ways to do things.
Each half term we introduce the children to a new topic these are:
|All about me||Super Heroes||On sea and land|
|Aliens in underpants||From big to little||Mini-beasts|